Memberships - Transfers and CoAs

As of Monday, August 27, Membership Transfers may only be submitted in person at the convention registration desk. Transfers must be accompanied by a signed letter from the person transferring the membership, including the details of both the person giving and the person receiving the transfer. See the section on "So How Do I Transfer My Membership" below.

For Attending members, Changes of Address can be given at registration when you collect your badge. Please check we have your correct, current postal and email address - we need this information to ensure, for instance, that you can participate in the 2014 Hugo Award nominating process.

If you need to report a Change of Address and are not attending the convention, or if you change your address between LoneStarCon 3 and the end of 2013, please email our membership team at

Membership Transfers

LoneStarCon 3 regrets that we are not able to refund membership fees. However, members are free to sell or transfer their memberships to others so long as we are properly notified and the following rules are adhered to.

Who Can Transfer a Membership?

Supporting and attending memberships, including child and family memberships, may be transferred either prior to the convention or, in the case of attending memberships, in person at the time the member registers at the convention.

Memberships and admissions that entitle a person to attend the convention (attending, child, day admission) may not normally be transferred after the member has registered in person at the convention.

Memberships may not be transferred after the convention, even though some rights - such as the right to nominate for the 2014 Hugo Awards - will still exist at that point.

I Can't Attend - How Can I Find a Buyer for my Membership?

There are many ways to sell a membership, especially via the Internet, and it is usually possible to recover most or all of your original membership fee, especially if you buy your membership early on when the rates are at their lowest.

The best place to start is our Facebook page. Other places to consider include SF-related newsgroups and mailing lists, and even auction sites such as Ebay.

If you would like to advertise a membership for sale on Facebook, but do not have a Facebook account, please send the details (number of memberships for sale, prices, and how to get in touch with you) to and we will make a post on your behalf.

What About my Voting Rights?

Adult and Youg Adult memberships (supporting and attending) include the following voting rights:

  • The right to vote in the Nominating and Final Ballots for the 2013 Hugo Awards
  • The right to vote in the Nominating Ballot for the 2014 Hugo Awards
  • The right to vote in the Site Selection for the 2015 Worldcon.

Important: our policy on transfers is that any unused voting rights associated with a membership are automatically transferred with that membership.

This means that you cannot choose to retain any unused rights when transferring your membership, although you can, where appropriate, use them before the transfer takes place. If you do use some of your rights in this way, the person taking over your membership cannot then take them over, i.e. used rights do not transfer and any vote you make will automatically continued to stand.

So How Do I Transfer My Membership?

To transfer a membership, LoneStarCon 3 must receive an authenticated request to transfer the membership, giving the name and contact information for both the transferor (seller) and transferee (buyer). It is up to the purchasers to find out if voting rights on a membership have been exercised.

Irrespective of the way in which the transfer is reported, we need the following information, which must be provided by the transferor.

  • Names, addresses (including email if available) and membership number(s) of seller(s)
  • Names, badge names (if required) and addresses (including email and phone details if available) of buyer(s).

To help us check that transfer requests are genuine, sellers should where possible contact us from the email address they used to register, and provide full contact information that we can validate against our records.

Changes of Address

Changes of Address (CoAs) should be notified to us promptly so that we can ensure you continue to receive your publications and other convention information.

CoAs should be mailed to our regular office address, or emailed to our memberships team at The same email address should be used for any questions.

When providing a CoA, please include the following information:

  • Names, existing address and contact information (including phone and email if available) and membership number(s) of all the people who are moving, including children
  • New address information, including full postal address and phone number.

Including the full contact information will help us to validate that the request is genuine. The person submitting the request should if possible contact us from the same email address that they used to register, for the same reason.